Lamp warm game: Warlords Classic for iOS

In early childhood in a cold Norilsk there was me. In winter, in severe frosts, the Education Department allowed "to attend classes to the students of the first shift..." (countrymen will understand...) is called "registration control". In General, we learned a little, and in those days, had to stay home. But I had the opportunity to go to mom's to work in the design Institute, where he managed an hour or two to play on an IBM PC-compatible computers (here -40 degrees with wind is not a hindrance). A favorite game was — Warlords...



For gift codes, you can contact the PM. :( ended.

Been years (even decades), and I have held programmer, decided to write the Warlords for the iPhone (the iPad had not yet been... 2009, fall). All is good, but the experience of developing for iOS, I had only a couple of months, and I still didn't understand all the magic alloc/init/retain/release/autorelease. However, this has not stopped me two months of work (actually, I now realize that it was training), and the game was ready (about 80% features of the original). Deciding not to push it to 100% and leaving the game map and graphic resources, honestly cut from the DOS version, I released it in the AppStore under the name of Knights (I mean, I'm insolent percent of the commercials 90%).

It's been two weeks... and in the mailbox found a letter from Steve Faulkner is the author of the original game 1998, native of Australia born in 1968. In the letter I was promised the courts of all instances, required to pay a penalty and to immediately remove the game from the AppStore. It turns out, fans of Warlords found my game and began to write to Steve with requests to implement the missing functionality to tie a multiplayer game, etc. Later he told me that he was really surprised.

I had nothing to do but to remove the game from sale. However, I plucked up the courage and proposed to release the same game under the original name, for the expulsion of a part of profit. And, lo and behold, Steve gladly agreed. Now in the AppStore is the most that neither is official port. Of penalty, forgotten, and now I am the owner exclusive rights to the game Warlords for iOS for the next 5 years.

Flew months, the game sold sluggishly, and I forgot about it. Moreover, to make changes in the “code-noodles of the second order“ was not possible. I moved on to other projects, pumping your iOS dev skills.

And so, last spring it hit me! We have iPad — iPhone big and comfortable, which is very suitable to play in Warlords. Yes, and Apple has released iOS 6 with support for Turn Based Games (with a timeout of course) in Game Center. So, a little blood to realize a multiplayer game.

It was decided to rewrite from scratch, but with an eye on a few cards and the game through Game Center. Oddly enough, but writing from scratch with a much greater amount of experience took the same two months. And six months later, I made from the iPad game universal app (runs on iPhone and iPad), after which sales rose by about half.



Now the game of three cards – classic Illyria, Hadasa from Warlords 2 and a figment of my imagination – Trilantic. The game brings its "penny", pleases fans, and Angers my wife when I'm lying in bed doing next moves against familiar opponents.

Using the editor I continue to create (well... port) cards from Warlords 2 and Warlords 2 Deluxe. People like it. All new cards are completely free, although users often wrote that they are ready to pay. I believe that the current price of 5$ is quite adequate and deserves continuation of work on my part with no additional charge. Expected in the fall of Erythea and Isladia with graphics from WL2 Deluxe.

Very warm heart positive feedback and a fair rating of 4.5 stars in the AppStore. I get a special pleasure, drawing shields races for each new card:


Join us and you:
iTunes AppStore: itunes.apple.com/ru/app/id532024361
Facebook: www.facebook.com/WarlordsGame

And finally a little bit of information for fellow developers.

Download by country are as follows (the game is fully translated into a dozen languages):


I recently published an article Increase profit from iOS application three times. No progress, only the technology..., which "proved" the number of downloads of free applications (and hence income from the conversion) of the size of the application. Now with confidence I can say that for paid apps "is the locomotive does not fly." Reducing the size of Warlords Classic from 32 to 9 MB of the impact on sales has not been granted.

I recognize that the implementation for iPhone is not very good – all small and inconvenient, i.e. port almost "simple reduction". However, you have the opportunity to make your move in the allotted 24 hours, even if the iPad was taken away relatives for a couple of days. Perhaps I will remedy the situation. Ever.

PS. I have 50 gift codes. Tell me, if the rules do not prohibit Habra their hand here?
Article based on information from habrahabr.ru

Комментарии

Популярные сообщения из этого блога

March Habrameeting in Kiev

PostgreSQL load testing using JMeter, Yandex.Tank and Overload

Monitoring PostgreSQL with Zabbix